An Abuja High Court has struck out the criminal charges brought by the Federal Government against the senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, which has brought an end to a closely watched legal contest that had drawn national attention.
Court documents showed that the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation submitted a Notice of Discontinuance, which led the court to formally remove the criminal defamation and related counts earlier filed against the lawmaker.
The matter arose from statements reportedly credited to Akpoti-Uduaghan during a televised interview. The case became a subject of public discussion, with many Nigerians debating freedom of expression, political responsibility and the proper use of prosecutorial authority in a democratic system.
The Notice of Discontinuance, dated December 12, 2025, terminated proceedings in suit number FHC/ABJ/CR/195/2025.
Justice C. N. Oji, who presided over the case on Thursday, acknowledged the notice and ordered that the charges be struck out.
In his remarks, the judge pointed to the need for caution in the exercise of prosecutorial powers.
“The court hopes that this decision will pave the way for restraint, healing, and respect for the rule of law in our democratic process,” he said.
Counsel to the Federal Government confirmed the withdrawal of the charges before the court.
“On behalf of the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation, we have filed a notice of discontinuance in line with the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act. This decision is taken in the overall interest of justice and public confidence in the legal system,” he said.
After the session, Akpoti-Uduaghan welcomed the ruling and described it as a validation of her stand.
“Today’s outcome affirms my belief in the rule of law. I remain committed to serving my constituents and defending the democratic rights of all Nigerians,” she said.
The termination of the case followed months of legal arguments and public debate. Several civil society organisations and rights groups had earlier criticised the prosecution, which they described as an effort to suppress free speech and political participation.




