AccessPost
SUBSCRIBE
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News
No Result
View All Result
AccessPost
No Result
View All Result
Home News

N432bn Probe: EFCC Extends El-Rufai Detention As Lawyer Pushes For Bail

by Danjuma Obinna
18 February 2026
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Related News

Ten Courses To Study In Germany That Can Land You Well-Paying Jobs

Electronic Transmission: If India Can Do It, Nigeria Has No Excuse – Peter Obi

BREAKING: Sultan Declares Wednesday First Day Of Ramadan In Nigeria

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, remained in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Tuesday night as his legal team intensified efforts to secure his release on bail.

There are indications that the anti-graft agency may approach the court for a remand order to keep him in detention beyond the legally permitted period. Investigators are said to be seeking more time to question him over allegations linked to a N432bn corruption probe.

El-Rufai arrived at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja on Monday at about 10 a.m. following an invitation for questioning. He was detained shortly after his appearance, and interrogation has continued since then.

A source within the commission, who spoke on condition of anonymity, dismissed reports circulating on social media that the former governor had been released.

“Forget the speculations being peddled on social media that he has been released. He has not. El-Rufai is still with us and will be spending another night in custody.

“He is very much with us and will remain so because the investigators are considering getting a remand order after the expiration of the 48 hours allowed by law.

“The investigators need some time with him to answer questions arising from his eight years as governor in Kaduna State,” the source said.

In a telephone interview, El-Rufai’s lawyer, A.U. Mustapha (SAN), confirmed that his client was still being held by the commission. He maintained that the former governor had cooperated fully with investigators and should be granted bail.

Mustapha said, “Well, as a responsible citizen, he was invited and, true to his word, he honoured the invitation.

“As we speak, he is still with the EFCC. He is cooperating to the best of his capacity, and we hope that the EFCC, given its integrity, will be kind enough to admit him to bail because he is presumed innocent, and I am sure if he is granted bail, he will not jump bail.

“He is a responsible citizen, and everybody knows him. He came to Nigeria on his own volition. He wrote a letter that he was going to honour the EFCC invitation, and he kept his word as a man of integrity. We’re hopeful that very soon he will be granted bail.”

When asked about the allegations, Mustapha declined to provide details.

“You’re asking the right question from the wrong person. That question can only be answered by the EFCC and not by me. I would just be speculating, and lawyers don’t do that.”

He also refused to comment on the nature of the interrogation.

“That would be prejudicial. It’s a confidential matter and not meant for public consumption.”

The EFCC investigation followed a report by an ad hoc committee of the Kaduna State House of Assembly. The panel was constituted in 2024 to review finances, loans, and contract awards between 2015 and 2023 during El-Rufai’s tenure.

The committee, led by Henry Zacharia, alleged that several loans secured by the state were not applied to their intended purposes. While presenting the report, the Speaker, Yusuf Dahiru Leman, claimed that about N423bn was allegedly siphoned during the period under review.

The lawmakers recommended the investigation and prosecution of the former governor and some members of his cabinet. Allegations listed included abuse of office, diversion of public funds, money laundering, irregular contract awards, and reckless borrowing. Petitions were later forwarded to the EFCC and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

El-Rufai has denied the claims. He described the probe as politically motivated. He insisted that all loans obtained during his administration were properly utilised in sectors such as infrastructure, education, healthcare, and security.

An EFCC source disclosed on Monday that the commission had been working on the case for about a year before inviting the former governor.

“The commission has been investigating him for about a year now. As a commission, we don’t just rush to invite suspects. Persons accused are always the last; that is, after we might have done our investigation to an advanced stage.

“We are investigating him on the allegations against him by the Kaduna State Assembly,” the source said.

In a related development, the Department of State Services has filed criminal charges against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja. The charges concern the alleged unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The three-count charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, was filed under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

According to the charge sheet, El-Rufai allegedly admitted during a February 13, 2026, appearance on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme that he and unnamed associates unlawfully intercepted Ribadu’s communications.

Count One alleged that El-Rufai “did admit during the interview that you and your cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu,” an offence said to be punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act.

Count Two accused him of acknowledging knowledge of an individual involved in the alleged interception without reporting it to security agencies. Count Three alleged that he and others still at large used technical equipment that compromised public safety and national security.

Prosecutors also argued that the alleged act, said to have been admitted during the television interview, created “reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians.”

He has yet to be arraigned before the court.

Tags: EFCCEl-Rufai

Related Posts

Ten Courses To Study In Germany That Can Land You Well-Paying Jobs

18 February 2026
Electronic Transmission: If India Can Do It, Nigeria Has No Excuse – Peter Obi

Electronic Transmission: If India Can Do It, Nigeria Has No Excuse – Peter Obi

18 February 2026
BREAKING: Sultan Declares Wednesday First Day Of Ramadan In Nigeria

BREAKING: Sultan Declares Wednesday First Day Of Ramadan In Nigeria

18 February 2026

Six Travellers Abducted On Benue Road

18 February 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube Pinterest

About Us

We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

Learn more

Recent Stories

  • Leon Cooperman, A Billionaire, Buys New Man Utd Shares
  • Anthony Gordon Matches Harry Kane In A Prestigious Champions League Club

Categories

  • Brand Content
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Top Story
  • World News

© 2025 Accesspost - is own by Accesspost Media & Investment Limited | Premium Website Design by AspireWeb.ng.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News