AccessPost
SUBSCRIBE
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News
No Result
View All Result
AccessPost
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Nigeria players Boycott Training Two Days Before Crunch WC Play-Off

by Access Post
12 November 2025
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Nigeria players Boycott Training Two Days Before Crunch WC Play-Off
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Nigeria players have boycotted training just two days before a crucial World Cup qualifying play-off against Gabon. The squad have downed tools due to issues with outstanding payments and have demanded a resolution before their next game. The Super Eagles must beat Gabon in their play-off semi-final to have any chance of securing a place at the 2026 World Cup after missing out on automatic qualification in the group phase.

Nigeria’s preparations for their crucial game have been thrown into chaos by the latest development during what’s been a rocky time. Star striker Victor Osimhen was originally not named in the squad for the vital match but has since linked up with the team at their camp in Rabat, Morocco for the fixture. Meanwhile, Fulham star Alex Iwobi appeared to criticise the quality of the team’s hotel in a video shared on social media. The video brought a strong response from supporters and led Iwobi to hit back, per talkSPORT. He said: “You see in life it’s all about perspective. Because I snapped the view I have people thinking, ‘this guys ungrateful’ I never said one thing. I just did one look and never said one thing. In life some people don’t have yards, some people don’t have beds, I’m comfy. I’m playing Mario Kart. What the hell? Just let me go and focus. We’ve got a big game coming up.”

The players’ decision to boycott training ahead of the Gabon match has brought more disruption to their World Cup plans. A statement has been issued by the squad, urging a swift resolution to the problem: “The full squad, including officials, withheld from training today in Morocco because of unresolved issues with outstanding payments. The Super Eagles are awaiting a quick resolution to continue their preparations for Thursday’s game against Gabon. Thank you. From the players.”

Players are reportedly still waiting to receive bonuses that date back to 2019 and also include payments due after their qualification for the AFCON. Representatives from the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) have met with some of the squad but no agreement has yet been found.

Nigeria were one of the four best runners-up in CAF qualifying but must find their way through the play-offs to make World Cup 2026 in what will be a precarious route, particularly due to the disruption to their pre-match preparations. The Super Eagles play Gabon in Morocco on Thursday, November 13, with the winners progressing to a final against Cameroon or DR Congo on Sunday, November 16. The winners of that game will then head to a further inter-confederation play-off stage in Mexico in March as Africa’s sole representative. They will be joined by two teams from the Central America/Caribbean region plus Bolivia, New Caledonia and Iraq or the UAE, with the last two World Cup spots up for grabs.

Related News

Swedish Politician Uses ‘Spursy’ Tottenham As Warning For National Economy

Dele Returns To Tottenham! Free Agent Makes Special Appearance

Alonso Rejects Marseille Offer, Keeps Eyes On Potential Liverpool Opening

Nigeria face a difficult task qualifying for World Cup 2026 but manager Eric Chelle, who has overseen eight wins from his 13 matches in charge so far, has sent out a defiant message to his team’s suppporters. He told reporters: “Thanks to the fans. Thanks to Nigeria. I’m so happy to have brought smiles back to their faces. We beat Benin because the fans pushed the players. I ask them to do the same for the playoffs. I plan to give my best for Nigeria, and In Sha Allah, we will go to the FIFA World Cup.

“I’ve created a bubble to stay focused on my goals. Before AFCON, our immediate target is the World Cup playoffs. The goal is to win against Gabon on 13 November, and if successful, the final on 16 November. This team has great players. If we stay serious, motivated, and united, nothing is impossible.”

Related Posts

Swedish Politician Uses ‘Spursy’ Tottenham As Warning For National Economy

Swedish Politician Uses ‘Spursy’ Tottenham As Warning For National Economy

20 February 2026
Dele Returns To Tottenham! Free Agent Makes Special Appearance

Dele Returns To Tottenham! Free Agent Makes Special Appearance

20 February 2026
Alonso Rejects Marseille Offer, Keeps Eyes On Potential Liverpool Opening

Alonso Rejects Marseille Offer, Keeps Eyes On Potential Liverpool Opening

20 February 2026
‘Choking Again’ – Morgan Calls Out Arsenal For Wolves Collapse

‘Choking Again’ – Morgan Calls Out Arsenal For Wolves Collapse

19 February 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube Pinterest

About Us

We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

Learn more

Recent Stories

  • UI Law Graduate Earns First-Class Seven Years After Two US Visa Denials
  • Nigerian, Other Foreign Students Urged To Carry Immigration Documents As US Tightens Enforcement

Categories

  • Brand Content
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Top Story
  • World News

© 2025 Accesspost - is own by Accesspost Media & Investment Limited | Premium Website Design by AspireWeb.ng.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News