AccessPost
SUBSCRIBE
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News
No Result
View All Result
AccessPost
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Court Retains Arrest Warrant Against Sadiya Umar Farouq As Counsel Cites Health Challenges

by Danjuma Umar
19 May 2026
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Related News

Nigeria Drawn Against Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau In AFCON Qualifiers

Police Arrest Man With 339 Wraps Of Suspected Cannabis In Kogi

Seven Feared Dead As Jigawa LG Chairman Survives Auto Crash

A Federal Capital Territory High Court in Apo has maintained the arrest warrant issued against former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, after her lawyer informed the court that she was in Egypt for medical treatment.

Farouq is standing trial alongside Bashir Nura Alkali, a permanent secretary in the ministry, and Sani Mohammed over allegations of breach of trust and abuse of office. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, filed a twenty-one-count charge against the defendants.

The anti-graft agency accused the former minister and the other defendants of allegedly diverting about 1.3 million dollars and N746.6 million.

The charges were filed before the FCT High Court in Apo.

Earlier in April, the court issued a bench warrant against Farouq and Alkali after they failed to appear for arraignment. The EFCC later declared the former minister wanted over alleged abuse of office and diversion of public funds.

During Monday’s proceedings, EFCC counsel, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), told the court that the matter was scheduled for arraignment. He also noted that the first defendant was absent.

“My lord, we were here on April 16, 2026, when your lordship granted us a bench warrant to arrest the first defendant,” Jacobs said in a statement issued by the EFCC.

“It was because of that; the second defendant immediately approached the Commission and surrendered himself in obedience to your lordship’s order.

“We urge your lordship to remove the bench warrant from the second defendant as we will be applying that the bench warrant for the first defendant be sustained.”

Jacobs also informed the court that Farouq’s lawyer had earlier assured the court that he would produce his client within one month.

The trial judge, Jude Onwuegbuzie, then asked the former minister’s counsel, Oladipo Okpesheyi, to explain her absence.

Responding, Okpesheyi said he received information on Sunday night that his client was receiving treatment in Egypt and would not be fit enough to appear in court for another two months.

“My lord, she is in Egypt. I learnt that her doctor said she is not medically fit to appear today. There is a medical report I received on my phone last night that she is in the hospital on doctor’s advice in Egypt,” he said.

“She will need about two months to recover before she can come. We will be humbly asking for an adjournment.”

The judge expressed displeasure over what he described as delay tactics in the matter. He warned that further action could follow if the former minister fails to appear at the next sitting.

Justice Onwuegbuzie subsequently ruled that the arrest warrant against Farouq would remain in force. The case was adjourned until June 8, 2026, for arraignment.

Tags: NigeriaSadiya Farouq

Related Posts

Nigeria Drawn Against Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau In AFCON Qualifiers

Nigeria Drawn Against Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau In AFCON Qualifiers

20 May 2026
Police Arrest Man With 339 Wraps Of Suspected Cannabis In Kogi

Police Arrest Man With 339 Wraps Of Suspected Cannabis In Kogi

20 May 2026
Seven Feared Dead As Jigawa LG Chairman Survives Auto Crash

Seven Feared Dead As Jigawa LG Chairman Survives Auto Crash

20 May 2026
Arsenal End 22-Year Wait For Premier League Title After Man City Draw

Arsenal End 22-Year Wait For Premier League Title After Man City Draw

19 May 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube Pinterest

About Us

We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

Learn more

Recent Stories

  • Nigeria Drawn Against Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau In AFCON Qualifiers
  • Police Arrest Man With 339 Wraps Of Suspected Cannabis In Kogi

Categories

  • Brand Content
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro News
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Top Story
  • World News

© 2025 Accesspost - is own by Accesspost Media & Investment Limited | Premium Website Design by AspireWeb.ng.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News