AccessPost
SUBSCRIBE
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News
No Result
View All Result
AccessPost
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

AFCON 2025: Salah Downplays Egypt As Favourites

by Access Post
9 January 2026
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
AFCON 2025: Salah Downplays Egypt As Favourites

Mohamed Salah

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Pharaohs of Egypt national team captain, Mohamed Salah, has dismissed suggestions that the Pharaohs are among the favourites for the TotalEnergies Africa Cup of Nations Morocco 2025, stressing that his side remain focused on progressing step by step.

This is detailed in a Friday statement obtained from the CAF website.

Chasing a record-extending eighth AFCON title, Egypt secured a place in the quarter-finals following a hard-fought 3–1 extra-time victory over Benin.

Salah led by example once again, scoring Egypt’s decisive third goal on Monday night to take his tally to three goals in three matches at the tournament.

Despite his influential performances, the 32-year-old was keen to temper expectations after the match.

Related News

Swedish Politician Uses ‘Spursy’ Tottenham As Warning For National Economy

Dele Returns To Tottenham! Free Agent Makes Special Appearance

Alonso Rejects Marseille Offer, Keeps Eyes On Potential Liverpool Opening

“I don’t think we are favourites,” he said. “We have young players, most of them playing back home in Egypt.

“We are just fighting for our country, then we see where we can go. Everyone here just wants to give their best,” he said.

Salah has featured in all but one of Egypt’s matches so far, having been rested for the final group game against Angola once qualification had already been secured.

The decision by head coach Hossam Hassan appeared to pay off as Egypt found the edge during extra time against a resilient Benin side.

“Physically, we were a little better in extra time and that gave us the advantage.

“There is no easy game in Africa anymore because the levels are very close.

“I told the boys that we haven’t seen teams losing by four or five goals, and that says a lot,” Salah explained.

The Liverpool forward also highlighted the quality of the opposition after the quarter-final qualification.

He further noted, “We played against a team with a good coach and a strong structure. It wasn’t easy, but we are happy to have won in the end.”

While Salah has largely stayed away from the spotlight during Egypt’s stay in Agadir, his performances continue to underline his importance.

Having already lost two AFCON finals, he is still seeking his first continental title.

Salah’s three goals in Morocco have taken his international tally to 66, leaving him three short of head coach Hossam Hassan’s long-standing Egypt scoring record of 69. Hassan, himself a former AFCON winner with Egypt, previously praised his captain’s impact.

“He is a very important player, not only for us but also for his club Liverpool.

“He has shown his leadership in this tournament, guiding the young players and taking responsibility.

“We are blessed to have him, and I expect him to keep scoring,” Hassan said in a previous interview.

For Salah, however, the focus remains firmly on the collective objective as Egypt continue their pursuit of continental glory in Morocco.

Related Posts

Swedish Politician Uses ‘Spursy’ Tottenham As Warning For National Economy

Swedish Politician Uses ‘Spursy’ Tottenham As Warning For National Economy

20 February 2026
Dele Returns To Tottenham! Free Agent Makes Special Appearance

Dele Returns To Tottenham! Free Agent Makes Special Appearance

20 February 2026
Alonso Rejects Marseille Offer, Keeps Eyes On Potential Liverpool Opening

Alonso Rejects Marseille Offer, Keeps Eyes On Potential Liverpool Opening

20 February 2026
‘Choking Again’ – Morgan Calls Out Arsenal For Wolves Collapse

‘Choking Again’ – Morgan Calls Out Arsenal For Wolves Collapse

19 February 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube Pinterest

About Us

We bring you the best Premium WordPress Themes that perfect for news, magazine, personal blog, etc. Check our landing page for details.

Learn more

Recent Stories

  • UI Law Graduate Earns First-Class Seven Years After Two US Visa Denials
  • Nigerian, Other Foreign Students Urged To Carry Immigration Documents As US Tightens Enforcement

Categories

  • Brand Content
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Top Story
  • World News

© 2025 Accesspost - is own by Accesspost Media & Investment Limited | Premium Website Design by AspireWeb.ng.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • World News