Bezalel Smotrich has spent years building a political identity around one goal: making a Palestinian state impossible. On Tuesday, the International Criminal Court’s prosecutor signalled that those efforts may now carry a personal legal price. Smotrich’s response was not remorseful. It was defiance — and a promise to speed up.
The Israeli Finance Minister announced from his Jerusalem office that the ICC prosecutor is seeking an arrest warrant for him. He called it “a declaration of war.” He did not wait for his lawyers to respond or his government to issue a measured statement. Instead, he announced that Israel would “immediately” demolish the Bedouin community of Khan al-Ahmar — a long-targeted village east of Jerusalem — in direct retaliation.
In Smotrich’s political world, an international arrest warrant is not a crisis. It is a credential.
The Charges Nobody Has Officially Named
The ICC declined to confirm or deny the development. In a statement to CNN, the court said it cannot comment on applications for arrest warrants, which are classified and handled under seal. The process is formal and sequential: a prosecutor applies for a warrant, judges review the application confidentially, and only then is a warrant issued — or not.
Smotrich himself did not state the specific basis for the application. But he left little room for ambiguity about what he suspected. He pointed directly to his role in driving Israel’s most aggressive period of settlement expansion in recent memory.
Since the current Israeli government took office, Smotrich said, more than 100 new settlements have been approved. In April alone, Israel secretly authorised more than 30 new settler outposts and farms across the occupied West Bank — a move designed, by its architects’ own admission, to make a contiguous Palestinian state structurally impossible.
Smotrich has never been shy about that objective. He has publicly declared his goal is to prevent Palestinian statehood. He refers to the West Bank exclusively as Judea and Samaria, using the biblical terminology preferred by the Israeli settler movement. In his address on Tuesday, he described the settlement drive as a “revolution” and made clear he views it as a permanent transformation rather than a policy subject to reversal.
“We are planning, building, paving, regulating, and making the pioneering settlement enterprise irreversible,” he said.
It was a statement of intent delivered at the precise moment he was announcing potential legal jeopardy. The juxtaposition was not accidental.
A Widening Legal Net
Smotrich may not be alone in facing ICC scrutiny. An Israeli official told CNN that the court may also be seeking arrest warrants for Defence Minister Israel Katz and far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir.
Ben Gvir, whose ministry oversees Israeli police and who has been a vocal supporter of settlement expansion and of forceful responses to Palestinian resistance, issued a brief statement in response. “I am neither afraid nor deterred,” he said.
The potential expansion of the ICC’s reach to three senior Israeli ministers — none of them the prime minister — represents a significant escalation in the court’s engagement with Israeli policy. It signals that prosecutors are no longer focused solely on military conduct but are examining the political decision-making chain behind Israel’s territorial policies.
The ICC targeted Netanyahu himself in November 2024, when the court issued arrest warrants against him and former Defence Minister Yoav Gallant on allegations of war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza. Netanyahu dismissed those warrants as “absurd and antisemitic.” At the same time, the court issued a warrant for Hamas military commander Mohamed Deif — who had already been killed in an Israeli airstrike months earlier.
The addition of Smotrich, Katz, and potentially Ben Gvir to the ICC’s frame of attention shifts the focus from the conduct of war to the governance of occupied territory — a different and, for the Israeli government, equally threatening legal terrain.
Settlements, International Law, and a Long-Running Dispute
The legal foundation underpinning any ICC action is not ambiguous, at least in the view of the international community. Israel captured the West Bank from Jordan during the 1967 war and began establishing Jewish settlements there in the years that followed. The United Nations, the International Court of Justice, and the overwhelming majority of the international community regard those settlements as illegal under international law.
Israel disputes that characterisation. Its current government goes further — openly rejecting the framework of a two-state solution and treating settlement expansion not as a sensitive political question but as a national mission.
The UN also designates the West Bank and East Jerusalem as occupied territory. The Palestinians regard both as essential components of any future state. Every new settlement approved by Smotrich’s ministry is, in this context, a direct challenge to that framework — and, potentially, evidence for prosecutors building a legal case.
Khan al-Ahmar, the Bedouin community Smotrich announced would be immediately evacuated in response to the warrant application, sits east of Jerusalem in an area that Israeli authorities have long sought to clear. Its demolition has been repeatedly ordered and repeatedly delayed following international pressure and legal challenges. Using an ICC warrant application as the moment to move against it is a calculated provocation — a signal that international legal pressure will be met with acceleration, not restraint.
The Pattern Is Now Undeniable
What is emerging is a coherent pattern — and the ICC appears to be documenting it.
The court issued warrants for the head of government and the defence minister over the conduct of military operations. It is now, apparently, moving toward warrants for the ministers responsible for systematic land seizure, forced displacement, and the deliberate dismantling of Palestinian political and geographic viability.
Taken together, the trajectory suggests prosecutors are building a case not just about individual acts but about a broader policy — one that Smotrich has championed loudly, implemented aggressively, and showed no intention of reversing.
His response to Tuesday’s news made that clear. He did not deny the conduct. He celebrated it. And he promised more.
Whether the judges issue the warrant remains to be seen. But the prosecutor’s application is itself a statement — and Smotrich’s reaction has, if anything, reinforced the argument behind it.




